Please note our school has a new telephone number;
Our school is a contemporary, purpose built setting situated in Howrah adjacent to a park area and beach.
Southern Support School provides a quality education in a safe, fair and caring environment for students with special needs from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
The staff at Southern Support School believe in the abilities of all children and support the growth and development of each child through positive relationships and engagement in challenging but achievable learning experiences.
We believe each child is unique and their Individual Education Plan reflects this uniqueness.
Individual Education Plans are developed in consultation with each student’s parents, carers and relevant professionals including:
- Experienced special education teachers
- Experienced teacher assistants
- Speech and language therapists
- Occupational therapists
Our teaching content is based on the Tasmanian Curriculum; our learning programs focus primarily on communication, literacy, numeracy, health and well being, personal and social development, community participation and pathway planning to adult life.
Our school is divided into 3 areas;
- The Junior school concentrating on understanding school routines and being a communicator.
- The Middle school concentration on consolidating skills and increasing independence
- The Senior school working towards post school placements in supported employment, supported day placements, living with a group and leisure pursuits.